MicroVal has approved the issuing of the certificate for Kylt Salmonella spp. 2.0 by AniCon Labor GmbH. Campden BRI has carried out the validation study of this alternative method, based on ISO 16140-2:2016, for the detection of Salmonella spp in 4 different categories:
- Raw meat and ready to cook meat products,
- Raw poultry and ready to cook poultry products,
- Environmental samples and
- Primary production samples.
Kylt Salmonella spp. 2.0 has been validated against ISO 6579- 1:2017 (Horizontal method for the detection, enumeration and serotyping of Salmonella. Part 1: Detection of Salmonella spp.)
Kylt Salmonella spp. 2.0 a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) based assay that targets Salmonella specific DNA split into 3 stages:
- Sample enrichment in Buffered Peptone Water (BPW) prewarmed to 37°C and incubated for 16h at 37 ±1°C.
- DNA extraction using 1 of the 2 DNA extraction methods listed in the manufacturer’s protocol
- Analysis of DNA extracts by real time PCR using selected PCR platforms. The study evaluated 2 PCR programmes for Salmonella detection;
The certificate and the accompanying study report, number 2017LR78, can be found under ‘issued certificates / alternative methods’.